Preparing For Your Appointment
Review this section for some things to consider and think about prior to our appointment.
This could possibly be the most important part of your remodel/renovation. At the end of the day you want a space that fits your everyday lifestyle and a space that you will never want to leave. Things to think about:
- What is your end goal? Will you be staying in the home for the near future or do you plan on selling?
- Your lifestyle
- Will kids or pets be in the space? (Some materials more durable than others)
Having a goal/vision in mind will help us during the design process. With Petta Constructions extensive knowledge and creativity we can redesign a space that best suits you and/or your family’s lifestyle.
There are so many material options on the market and the price range between them can fluctuate drastically. You don’t necessarily have to have every material you want to use figured out (and rarely does anyone) but if you have a general direction, it will help us create a more realistic proposal. Some things to think about the project may include:
- Lighting: pot lights, flush mount, etc.
- Showers: tile or fiberglass
- Flooring: tile, carpet, engineered flooring or laminate
- Counter tops: granite, quartz, solid surface, laminate, etc.
Your budget is a big factor in your remodel/renovation. Many people do not feel comfortable discussing their budget during the initial consultation as they don’t want it to influence the contractors estimate. This is a valid concern and we have no problem if you do not wish to share this number at this time. However, there are some advantages if you fill us in on your budget. These include the following:
- We have a good idea of what certain materials cost and there is large spending range across the materials. If you provide us with some indication of budget, we can help you select and estimate for materials to fit within that budget early on.
- Because there are so many different options with remodels, we want to be able to help you find the perfect fit. At times getting exactly what you want may require a larger budget; however, there are ways to get you close to what you want but at a lesser cost.
- Getting your hopes up – The absolute worst thing we could do is get your hopes up about a project and you receive our proposal and realize it is over your budget. By filling us in on your budget early on, it will help us determine what can be done within your budget and create a realistic estimate.
As a side note, some remodels/renovations may require you to borrow funds from the bank due to the scale of the project. It may be a good idea for you to meet with your lender and see how much they would allow you to take out.
Your timeline for when you are thinking of starting your remodel/renovation is not quite required during this time, but it is something you should defiantly be thinking about early on. Some things that may dictate the start date include:
- Children (in school or on summer holidays)
- Vacation time (maybe you would like to be more available during your remodel/renovation)
- Time of year (reflects the type of remodel/renovation)
Now you are ready for a successful appointment with Petta Construction!